Ohiya is a rural village located in Badulla District of Uva Province, Sri Lanka. It is much closer to the Horton Plains National Park. The picturesque Colombo -Badulla Railway runs through Ohiya. Ohiya is in the Welimada Divisional Secretariat Division and the Grama Niladhari Division number is 62A.
Ohiya - Trekkers Paradise
1. You could walk around Ohiya Tea Estates, forests and mountains. Climb top of Ohiya and Udaweriya tea Estates (7,200 ft above sea level - Two of the highest elevation tea estates in Sri Lanka) and enjoy the wide scenic view.
2. Trek to World’s End, Bakers Falls and back (you will have to pay the Horton Plains entrance fee).
3. Trek to Kirigalpotta mountain (height 7,856 ft.) - the second tallest mountain in Sri Lanka. It is advisable to hire a trekker from Farr Inn (you will have to pay the Horton Plains entrance fee).
4. Trek to Thotupolakande mountain (height 7,734 ft.) - the third tallest mountain in Sri Lanka (you will have to pay the Horton Plains entrance fee).
5. Trek upto Idalgashinna Railway Station, climb Thummulla Hills and enjoy the panoramic view including the drop at the big World’s End. Return by foot or take the train from Idalgashinna Station to Ohiya – note the 15 tunnels between Ohiya and Idalgashinna Railway Stations – the most number of tunnels between two stations in Sri Lanka and perhaps the world!
6. Trek to Bambarakande Falls (Tallest waterfall in Sri Lanka – 865 ft.) via Udaweria Estate, Kingslyn Estate, Devil’s Stair case, West Haputale Estate, Bambarakande Falls distance of approx. 16 km) Start early morning 6.30 a.m. or 7 a.m. after breakfast can be back by about 5 – 6 p.m.
7. Trek to Kalupahana via Udaweria Estate and Lower Ohiya Estate – a sharp drop of 3,000 ft. along the 6 mile stretch.